Instagram can seem rather daunting at first if you’re not sure where to start or what to do (other than upload pictures that is!). Let me start off by saying that I’ve made more contacts and connections on Instagram in a matter of days, than I have on Twitter or Facebook in weeks. So if you’re not already on Instagram, then my advice to you is.. GET THERE! I’ve put together some of my favorite Instagram Tips & Tricks to help you get started off on the right foot, or if you’ve been on there for a while, to help you ramp up your IG marketing!
So let’s get started, shall we?!
Instagram isn’t about posting advertisements 24 hours a day. In fact, that’s a complete DON’T DO IT! Instead, you want to brand yourself. There are a few great ways to start doing this and the first is by setting up your profile:
- Choose a unique, but descriptive username. I’d rather know what you do than what company you’re with. Besides, you don’t want to brand the company name, but establish yourself as a leader within your industry.
- Be descriptive with the use of emoji’s in your profile description – don’t try to sell, but make sure to add your website URL and link your account to Facebook as well to share your Facebook page too. Don’t forget a personal detail or two!
- Choose an appropriate profile picture. Using a product picture can be great, but again you want to brand yourself, not a company or a specific product, so I strongly suggest using a happy, smiling picture of YOU for your profile.
Share Posts With Value
Always lead with VALUE. If you’re just starting out on Instagram, follow the 80/20 rule: 80% Value – 20% Promotion. In fact, you can even go 90/10 until you have a following behind you.
Be unique, share tips, tricks, inspirational and motivational quotes (these are super hot on IG!), but be scarce with the advertising and promotion of your business and products. Constantly trying to push your products will only lead to “unfollowers”, and that is definitely not your goal.
For more information on Instagram, check out my article on
Instagram Marketing For Beginners.
Don’t Go Overboard With #Hashtags
Less is quite often more, even though Instagram allows for a ton of #Hashtags, I suggest you use no more than 10 – 15 MAX. Make sure your #hashtags are relevant to your post, meaning highly targeted towards your desired audience.
Don’t Over Post!
This is a key topic – do not over post on Instagram! You want to be consistent with your posting, and I suggest getting in the habit of posting 3-5 times per day, and make sure to space those posts out several hours at a time.
Unlike Facebook, Instagram doesn’t have albums, so uploading multiple pictures one right after the other will only lead to unhappy followers. If you have multiple pictures to upload, then create a collage out of them so you’re just uploading one picture.
Don’t jump on Instagram with the intentions of making it all about you. Instead, you want to make it about your followers by engaging with them.
- Like your followers posts
- Comment several times a day to build engagement
- Direct Message – don’t be afraid to reach out, and always reply to direct messages
- Tag – give your followers a shout out every once in a while
- Reciprocate – always reciprocate the above!
Don’t Overdo The Instagram Selfies!
Posting selfies seems to be an addiction, but you have to remember that you’re in this to build your business, and not to let everyone know what you’re doing every hour of the day. Posting a selfie every once in a while (once per week or even every other week) is more than sufficient, but even then you want to add value to the post.
Give your followers a behind the scenes look at your business and make your post interesting by saying something along the lines of:
Hey! Just getting ready for today’s webinar on ___
On a personal note, I have yet to post a selfie, and in a matter of weeks have over 800 followers by utilizing these Instagram tips and trick. If I can do it, so can YOU!
Have a look at my feed below, and FOLLOW ME @wahm.cafe
— Wahm Dianne